- $400,000 a year base salary
- $160,000 in bonuses
- $60,000 annual retention bonus
- $1,000-a-month car allowance
- $70,000 a year in deferred compensation
- First-class airfare on flights of more than two hours (you wouldn't expect him to fly coach would you?)
Oh, and my favorite: "The CSU Foundation bought a Shaker Heights home of Berkman's choosing last week for $808,000 and has agreed to pay for about $200,000 in upgrades to the home - at Berkman's request - for kitchen and bathroom remodeling. The university will pay up to $85,000 annually to lease the home from the foundation."
At a time when Ohio is struggling to close a $3+ billion budget deficit, students in Ohio are paying record tuition rates, and every public university in Ohio is tightening the budgetary purse strings, CSU trustees hand out this kind of largess: "Berkman's base pay outshines most of his peers at Ohio public colleges. Only the presidents of Ohio State University and the University of Cincinnati make more."